I recently had a situation arise where I wanted to handle a family matter one way, and it turned out that the Lord steered me in another direction. I had an issue on my mind so I thought I would write a letter about it to vent it out. This letter was about certain issues going on in our extended family. We (Matt and I) felt the issues needed to be addressed.
The feelings put in that letter weren't uncharitable. In fact, I felt quite justified in what these feelings were. These were addressing issues that really needed to be brought up. Being that we all live far apart a letter seemed an appropriate forum to use.
It never ceases to amaze me that once you give your life over to God how he will steer you. (and it is a constant discipline that I am not always good at. It's kind of like air breaking from the passenger seat...instead of just trusting that the driver has things under control, you think you can take over by pumping the imaginary break).
So, I started writing the letter and it morphed into this totally different entity that I had no intention of it being. Many of my letters never get sent. They are for therapeutic purposes only. But this new letter was sent with Matt's approval for it had been on his heart too. I had no feedback to see how it was received. That is until a few days ago. Then the Lord let me see the fruits of my letting Him "drive" from a source that was unexpected. There were several recipients of this letter. The feedback was not only positive, it was full of thanksgiving to the point where I was a bit uncomfortable in saying, "your welcome". This source of thanksgiving isn't one to dole out compliments on a regular basis, let alone on a subject as serious as this one. I have to say that I was taken by surprise at the gratitude (I think falling off the seat was a better description). I felt guilt at not explaining myself to this source about the process of this letter and taking all of the kudos for it. I handled it the way I usually do...talking incessantly until the person starts to glaze over. Lots of hand motions and lots of going on and on about the same thing I just said in the letter. I think it's a coping mechanism...I don't know.
Maybe my goal for this week should be to repeat over and over....I must decrease so that He may increase.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment